Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Stiff


I don't consider myself morbid, but the human body fascinates me. This was a pretty good book, it never got too wordy or technical. My favorite things I learned were:


1. Male and female hearts beat differently, when a female heart is transplanted into a male it will still beat like a female heart.


2. Before modern medicine they came up with all sort of inventions to tell if you were dead for sure. My favorite was the man who invented a machine that repeatedly pulled your tongue, because if you weren't dead you would for sure wake up after having your tongue pulled so many times.


3. After decapitation you can still move your eyes for 10-12 seconds.


4. They have the technology to do head transplants.


5. They are trying to market a machine that freezes you, then breaks you into a bunch of tiny pieces. They then take your pieces and make you into compost and plant a tree w/ you. (I would like this done if it is available when I die.)

No comments: